We seek an engineer/data scientist for our team with a strong background in machine learning and/or statistical analysis. The candidate will participate in our new interdisciplinary project entitled “Dissecting Multi-Neuronal Modules of Computation in the Neocortex” funded by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT) and the Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation (HFRI) for the support of postdoctoral researchers at the Institute of Computer Science at FORTH. The main focus of the project is the identification of the functional networks in the primary visual cortex. For that, we apply various machine-learning and statistical analysis algorithms to discover multi-neuronal motifs on data collected in vivo, using 2-photon imaging. Researchers and a professor from Harvard Medical School actively participate in this exciting project.
The engineer/data scientist will participate in various data preparation, analysis, and dissemination activities in the context of the project. Prior experience in machine learning, data science, and statistical analysis is an important aspect for the project. Experience in computational neuroscience is a plus but not a prerequisite.
• BSc. Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
• In depth knowledge of machine-learning/signal processing
• Physical presence at FORTH, Heraklion, Crete for the duration of the position
• Strong programming experience in Matlab and/or R
• Good programming experience in C/C++
• Willingness and ability to work cooperatively within a team, to learn, and to adapt to the various research activities
• Passionate to work in a research environment
• Excellent knowledge in English
• M.Sc. degree in Computer Science or a related field, with a specialization in data analytics/machine-learning/signal processing
• Publications in the field of data analytics/machine-learning/signal processing
• Research experience
Professor of Computer Science, University of Crete & FORTH