Among other issues, the course covers the following:
- Introductory concepts to mobile communication systems. General architecture of the system.
- Description of the basic characteristics of the wireless channel. Large-scale and small-scale phenomena. Types of mobile channels. Basic limitations.
- Digital modulation and transmission techniques adapted to the particularities of the mobile channel.
- Advanced source coding techniques. Speech coding methods used in mobile communication systems.
- Interference mitigation, channel equalization and adaptive channel equalization.
- Multiple access systems (FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, SDMA).
- Multi-carrier transmission techniques – OFDM systems.
- Space diversity techniques. MIMO systems. Smart antenna systems.
- Error control coding in wireless digital communications.
B. Laboratory exercises
- Selection of laboratory exercises from the following (indicative) list:
- Exercise 1: Implementation and comparative performance study of selected digital modulation techniques.
- Exercise 2: Implementation and performance study of an OFDM system.
- Exercise 3: Implementation and performance study of channel equalization methods.
- Exercise 4: Implementation of transmission systems utilizing multiple antennas at the receiver and/or the transmitter (MIMO systems).
- Exercise 5: Implementation and performance study of channel coding algorithms.
- Literature review based project (selection from a wide range of subjects)